Saturday, February 6, 2021

New VOD Movie Review: The Reckoning

The Reckoning is a new movie from director Neil Marshall, the guy behind behind Dog Soldiers and The Descent, two of the best horror movies of the 2000s. It premiered at the Fantasia Film Festival last August, and it was released to the general public on February 5 on VOD.  It's about a woman named Grace who's unfairly accused of witchcraft in 17th century England, and she suffers incredible torture at the hands of a witchfinder who hopes to wrest a confession from her.  It got mainly negative reviews out of Fantasia, but I was still looking forward to it.  I'm always interested in new projects from good horror directors, so I wanted to see this one for myself.

And when I finally saw it, I totally understood why it got such bad reviews.  While I think Marshall did a great job directing it, the story is just really weak.  He elevated it as much as he could and made it watchable, but on the whole, it's not a good movie.

When it starts, you see Grace living happily with her husband, but then he dies tragically when a plague sweeps the land.  She struggles to make ends meet for her and her baby, and one day, her landlord tries to take advantage of her situation and coerce her into having sex.  She refuses, so in return he accuses her of being a witch.

This part of the film is actually really good.  Grace is a compelling character, her story is interesting, and Marshall saturates the whole thing with a creepy atmosphere that keeps your eyes glued to the screen.  In particular, there are a few times when Grace has some supernatural visions or hallucinations, and those scenes are really cool.  The visuals are all spot on, so as I was watching it, I began to get my hopes up that I would actually end up liking this movie.

But then after Grace gets arrested and the witchfinder begins to torture her, the film takes a very steep nosedive in quality.  It still has some cool visuals and a great atmosphere, but the story just doesn't hold up.  Her trial takes place over a few days, and every day is basically the same thing.  She's tortured, the witchfinder tries to get her to confess, and she has a weird hallucination or dream about the devil and/or her dead husband.  Then they do it all over again the next day, and after a while, it feels like a boring, messed up version of Groundhog Day.  I completely lost interest in it, so I even had trouble enjoying the few things this part of the movie does well.

Finally, after a few days of this narrative monotony, the story changes gears one last time, and something a bit more interesting happens.  I don't want to spoil it in case you still want to see it, so I won't mention any specifics here.  Suffice it to say, the third act is better than the second, but that's not saying much.  While it maintains the good visuals and atmosphere, it's too little too late.  It's not nearly good enough to redeem the movie, so by the time the credits rolled, I was just really happy to be able to write this review and move on with my life.

All that being said, I do have to admit that I'm glad I watched The Reckoning, and not just because I can say that I saw it for myself and made my own judgment about it (although that's definitely a huge part of it).  Like I said, Neil Marshall elevated this bland story as much as he could, and I did genuinely enjoy the visuals and the atmosphere.  But I still can't recommend this film.  It's not a complete waste of your time, but the bad far outweighs the good here, so unless you just need to see this one for yourself, I'd recommend giving it a pass and waiting for something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment